The sky was partly cloudy and partly clear this morning, so I took my 6-inch Celestron over to High Point University again. I hoped the clouds would not spread and Aaron‘s students would get to see some sunspots.
Barbara and I set up near the shade of a tree so we could slide into the cool space more easily. Aaron and his students came out and a grand time was had by all. Aaron was most gracious in his introduction of me, and the students were very curious. We saw several small spots.
- Are the sunspots really cooler?
- How do sunspots form?
- Why are the spots today lined up?
- How does my telescope work?
- What’s the best kind of telescope for a beginner?
- How much did my telescope cost?
One security guard, several maintenance men and a biology teacher with his son joined us for a time. The clouds interfered for a brief time, but mostly we had a clear view of the spots.