LTA Trivia Quiz for Monday, March 26, 2018
(Sorry this report is so late. I had computer problems and have just now recovered. The winners listed on the leaderboard below have their window of opportunity open for a month beginning today.)
TOPIC: the Moon
The Moon is often the first astronomical object people notice. It’s only about a quarter million miles away, so it appears very large, about half an angular degree. The Moon reflects a lot of sunlight, so it’s pretty bright.
- How many minutes later does the Moon transit the meridian, from one day to the next?
2. How often so we have a day with no moonrise?
- The Moon does not orbit in the plane of the Earth’s equator. Name the one other solar system moon that does not orbit in the plane of its planet’s equator.
- How were most of the surface features on the Moon formed?
- What percent of the Moon’s total surface can Earth observers see?
- Whose book, published more than 300 years ago, established an understanding of the origin of the tides here on Earth?
- About 50 minutes……Somar01: The Moon’s eastward motion becomes apparent if you watch it night after night. This is the period that rules the tides..
- Every two weeks…….no winner: A moonrise will occur just after midnight every two weeks. Combined with the cycle in the question above, we have one day every synodic month with no moonrise.
- Triton……rossm3838: of Neptune
- impact……… rossm3838: Without erosion of from wind, water, etc, most of the features on the surface of the Moon were sculpted billions of years ago, when the inner solar system was crowded with smaller objects.
- 59%…….MixedMediaMan: We see a gentle rocking motion of the Moon over time, revealing about 59% of it surface. Libration can bring different lunar features into more favorable positions
- Sir Isaac Newton…..rossm3838 His book Principia (1687) explains how the decrease in the force of gravity with distance causes the tides.
Reference: Observer’s Handbook 2018, James S. Edgar, editor, The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
Leaders: make a contribution in the next 30 days to one of my charities listed here in my blog and I will match your gift, up to $100. Tell the charity to contact me about your contribution.
|3/26 Winners||Number of correct answers|