LTA Trivia Quiz on Monday, April 9, 2018
On Monday, April 9, 2018, my Periscope Trivia Contest was about galaxies. Not unexpectedly, @rossm3838 got two of the 6 questions correct (and fast). He was joined by @joelschultz who also got one answer correct plus Extra Credit for creativity. Below please find my questions. The correct answers, some extra info, and winners are listed at the end. Congrats to all who played.
- What is the name of our galaxy?
2. Almost all galaxies we observe have what in their centers?
3. What did American astronomer Harlow Shapley use to first determine the size of the Milky Way Galaxy and our location in it?
4. The Milky Way Galaxy has two large irregular galaxies in orbit that are visible in the Southern Hemisphere sky. Name one.
5. Name the American astronomer who, in 1924, found conclusive evidence that some of the numerous “nebulae” seen in our sky were actually outside our galaxy.
6. Name the large spiral galaxy, located some 3 million Light Years away a person with good eye-sight can see in our sky without a telescope.
Correct Answers……..Winners: and More!
- Milky Way Galaxy…. @rossm3838: Until the 1920’s, most thought the Milky Way Galaxy WAS the universe!
- Supermassive black holes…….@anarchist_buddha (BH) and @joelschultz (for creativity) Our SMBH appears to be about 2.6 million solar masses.
- Cepheid variable in Globular Clusters….@ashpauls: Our galaxy is about 100,000 Light Years across and our solar system is about a third of the way from the center.
- Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud….. @speear40 (LMC) and @joelschultz (SMC): These are irregular in shape and orbit the Milky Way Galaxy.
- Edwin Hubble…. @rossm3838: Not only did he discover galaxies, Hubble discovered the universe is expanding! Nevermore??
- Andromeda (m 32)…….. @Thomasuras: And M 42 coming this way! The Andromeda Galaxy will be here in about 4 or 5 billion years.
Leaders: make a contribution in the next 30 days to one of my charities listed and I will match your gift, up to $100. Tell the charity to contact me about your contribution.
Leaderboard posted on April 30
|4/9 Winners||Number of correct answers|